This remarkable building, one of the oldest surviving windmills in
the country, was given to the Society in 1932. It is now a scheduled ancient
monument and has undergone many repairs and rebuilds during its lifetime.
It has even been the inspiration for much of the work of one of our most
eminent contemporary architects, Lord Foster, one of our most eminent
contemporary architects gained some inspiration from it, preparing plans of
the building whilst a student in Cambridge.
The earliest record we have of the mill is from 1636, but it may be much earlier as this type of 'open trestle' post mill has hardly changed since the 13th century.
Bourn Post Mill is located off Caxton Road, Bourn CB23 2SU between the villages of Bourn and Caxton.
On the A428 from Cambridge take the turn after the blue footbridge signed Caldecote then follow Bourn Airfield and then Bourn, and take a right turn into Caxton Road. Alternatively turn off the A1198 at Caxton village. The mill is signed from the centre of the village.
OS Map Reference TL 311 579 GB Grid
The exterior of the mill can be enjoyed at any time - winter or summer during daylight hours. It is especially worth visiting on one of the summer open days, when our volunteer team of knowledgeable local guides will show you over the mill. If the wind conditions are right you may see the sails clothed and turning.
Open Days: These are held on National Mills weekend (second Sunday in May) and then on the last Sunday of the month until the end of September. Look for our new open day programme for the year.
Group Visits: We welcome visits by organised groups, when booked in advance. To book a visit please e-mail or call the Cambridge Past, Present & Future Office (Tel: 01223 243830).
Access: There is a small visitor car park (open from dawn to dusk) off Caxton Road (just beyond the turning to Bourn Mill Cottage).
Access to the mill enclosure is via a grass path. Disabled visitors, please use the public footpath and gate via the old Miller's cottage. Access to the interior of the mill is by a steep external ladder.
Enjoying the local countryside: There are lovely walks in the surrounding countryside with a footpath link from Bourn village to the Mill.
Free all the year round to visit the site (external mill area), however on open days we charge a modest sum for visitors to explore the inside of the mill - all helping the upkeep of this wonderful building.
Open Days - Members Free, small charge for Non Members - see details here.
Keeping the mill in good repair is expensive. The structure is exposed to the elements and needs regular maintenance.
In 2003 the stocks and sails were replaced at a cost of £47,500. To help with this we received grant aid from the Heritage Lottery Fund, WREN and South Cambridgeshire District Council. We are most grateful for their support.
Over the summer of 2008 the exterior of the mill, including the stocks and sails, was painted at a cost of £12,500.
During summer 2009 we are grateful to South Cambridgeshire District Council for a contribution to the costs of further repairs to the trestle
Please support our work maintaining and improving Bourn Post Mill for the enjoyment of all by clicking here to find out more about donating to or joining Cambridge Past, Present and Future.
Please email or telephone us at Cambridge Past, Present & Future Head Office
Would you like to help look after the Mill or act as a guide on Open Days? We are always glad to hear from people who can spare even an hour or two to help. Please go to our Volunteering page for more information about volunteering or other opportunities to help Cambridge Past, Present & Future.
Cambridge Past, Present & Future